I know being a Makeup Artist is tough, but you know what’s even worse? The time when you did your best but that one bad photo just destroyed all your efforts. But don’t worry, In this post, you will get to know about the Best Makeup Camera for Makeup Artists and Influencers.
As a Makeup Artist, your first step to get audience and client is sharing your portfolio. Or in other words, a set of photos and videos that describes your art, creativity, and experience.
In this post, you will get to know about How to choose a Makeup Camera, the list of 11 best cameras for makeup artists, a Quick comparison table, and some quick photography tips by a Photography & Filmmaking expert (that’s me) along with the FAQs.
List of 11 Best Makeup Camera for Makeup Artists & Influencers
- 1. Canon 5D Mark IV
- 2. Sony Alpha 7 II
- 3. Canon 80D
- 4. Canon G7X Mark II
- 5. Canon Rebel T7i
- 6. DJI Osmo Pocket 2
- 7. Fujifilm X-T30
- 8. Canon EOS M50 Mark II
- 9. Panasonic Lumix G7
- 10. Sony Alpha A6000
- 11. Canon 70D
1. Canon 5D Mark IV
Canon 5D Mark IV is a professional DSLR camera that stands number one in terms of photography & Filmmaking. It’s the best makeup camera for those makeup artist who are already on a good place and want to take their work to the next level. When it comes to quality Canon 5D Mark II is the number one camera that I personally love to use for all my photography and filmmaking use. Since the quality comes with price for some makeup artist or influences this camera maybe out of budget, and that’s one of the reason why I am recommending this camera to the professional makeup artists. You can use this camera for creating social media content, YouTube videos, tutorials, etc. Now I will share some of the best features that will make you fall in love with this camera.
The camera can record videos up to 4K HD quality and can capture images of 24.2MP HD quality with perfect color detailing. The quality will help you to showcase the perfection of your work with such detailing of face makeup, eye, lips, etc. Since, it can record 4K videos, You can shoot the Tutorial videos for your Youtube channel and even create a Course for the students. You can also select different filter frames for different kinds of Output. It performs outstanding even in the low light conditions and this solves the problem of shooting indoors. For more information, you can check out the video below and my personal opinion about this camera.
What I Like About Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- It can capture images 24.2MP and videos up to 4K HD quality.
- Perfect coloring detail to portray your work with perfection.
- It is the best low light performer.
- In-built image stabilization will upgrade your portraits and also, enhance your makeup skills.
- An intuitive setting and LCD touchscreen for easy controls.
What I don’t Like About Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Manual Focus is a little rigid that might create problem for non-professionals.
2. Sony Alpha 7 II
Sony is one of the reputed brands in this DSLR world. I recommend Sony Alpha 7 II as a good choice to look for because all the necessity is fulfilled in Sony Alpha 7 II. To increase the quality of artistic things Sony Alpha 7 II is a good camera because it is of medium budget, fulfilling all the requirements, designed for a pro-workflow. To explain in more detail, beginning with its videos and image quality. It can record video up to 4K HD quality and can capture stellar portraits of 24.3MP resolution. Beyond this, it is the first camera that was equipped with 5-axis image stabilization. So, you may imagine how stabilized and detailed output you may get. It has a hybrid AF that is faster than A7 by 30%.
Also, you can record videos for long hours at the same speed. The electronic viewfinder (color) is fast and accurate that helps to shoot effortlessly. Coming to the weight, it is lightweight and has a gripping design for bare hands. These were the few benefits of Sony Alpha 7 II. More is explained in pros and cons.
What I Like About Sony Alpha 7 II
- It has a viewfinder & image stabilization that works great for shooting portraits.
- You can shoot the best low light images and videos
- Quality videos and images output will definitely meet your satisfaction
- It is available at an affordable price range.
- Good battery life will be an advantage hand for more shooting and exploring
What I don’t Like About Sony Alpha 7 II
- Manual Focus might create problems for non-professionals.
3. Canon 80D
If you are a beginner or looking forward to taking your game to the next level, then Canon 80D is my number one recommendation for you. It brings mesmerizing details of color and delivers the best quality of images and videos. No doubt it’s the best makeup camera for both artists and influencers. A lot of my YouTuber friends use this beast for shooting Tutorials and even Vlogs. It has some of the best features that will be a real helping hand for you as a makeup artist. Let me share some really cool features.
Beginning with its deliverability quality of images and videos. You can capture images of 24.2MP with an APS-C CMOS sensor and can record videos up to 1080p HD. This will build your work quality by delivering quality content. Coming to its image processor, it is equipped with a DIGIC 6 image processor that will boost the quality of images and videos. It has an excellent AF system that makes it easy for you to focus on your subject that saves time. The wide-angle will also help you to capture wide content. You can check out my personal opinion about this camera below.
What I Like About Canon EOS 80D
- It has excellent AF, Viewfinder, and the best low light photography.
- It has excellent color detailing. This will show your makeup work more clear
- Best quality images and videos that will build your profile quality and record the best quality tutorial videos
- Image processor will boost the image quality
- Less time investment to set up and record or capture videos and images because of easy controls
What I don’t Like About Canon EOS 80D
- No such Cons, it’s the best you could get for the price.
4. Canon G7X Mark II
Canon G7X Mark II is the best makeup camera when it comes to Filmmaking under Budget. This camera is quite popular amongst the YouTubers. Trust me, it’s the best camera to shoot videos, Tutorials, and social media content. Beginning with the features, it has 17x total zooming that brings a lot more clarity and closes to your subject.
You can capture the best low light images and videos that are smooth and under program mode ISO of 12800 with noise reduction. It is equipped with a DIGIC 7 Image processor for the best images. Other than this, you can capture 20.1MP images and videos up to 1080p/60fps. A 24-100mm equivalent focal length range covers the short telephoto to wide-angle shot perspective. So, these were the best features that will help you, makeup artist for your career and professionalism. You will get more clarity through Canon Powershot G7X Mark II’s pros and cons.
What I Like About Canon G7X Mark II
- It has a DIGIC 7 Processor to boost the quality of images.
- The color detailing is great to capture the details in depth.
- You can shoot videos up to 1080p HD and capture images of 20.1MP with the CMOS sensor
- 17X Excellent zooming which will help you to get closeup shots
- Easy control, viewfinder, the LCD screen will help you for artistic use.
What I don’t Like About Canon G7X Mark II
- The battery of the is not that great.
5. Canon Rebel T7i
Every artist has to showcase their work, skills to their audience on various platforms as well as in different formats such as videos, images, etc. If you are a makeup artist looking for the best camera then Canon Rebel T7i is best for you. It has some good features that will help you, makeup artists. I’ll share some of its best features that will impress you as a makeup artist. Beginning with the 24.2MP CMOS sensor will boost the image quality and digital zooming up to 8x and Canon Rebel T7i will help you to record videos for long hours at good speed up to 60fps. The DIGIC 4+ Image Processor boosts the processing speed that will deliver the best quality images and videos.
Along with that, it is equipped with an 18-55mm lens as well as a wide-angle that captures most things in a single frame. Coming to its design and outlook, it is designed in a way that fits comfortably in the user’s hand and has classic looks and it is equipped with a 9-point AF System and AI Servo AF for fast and accurate focus. These were the few features that make Canon Rebel T7i it the best makeup camera for artists.
What I Like About Canon Rebel T7i
- The primary color filter system will bring in-depth color detailing to your images and videos
- Optical Viewfinder will help you to easily capture close up shots.
- Autofocus and easy control are best for makeup artist, as they don’t require to invest more time in set up
- Quality videos and images will awe the audience about your overall content
- Easy sharing will help you to deliver content from time to time
- Lightweight and touch LCD screen will a helping hand for you
What I don’t Like About Canon Rebel T7i
- Night mode is not that good compared to other competitors.
6. DJI Osmo Pocket 2
DJI Osmo Pocket 2 is different from other cameras. It is a flexible and pocket-size camera as mentioned in the name. It may be outdoor or indoor; you can shoot flexibly and in an easy way. For makeup artists who are more focused on makeup can easily shoot anywhere to showcase their makeup skills. Now you shoot on any location according to makeup. What can be a greater advantage than this? You might think about the quality! I promise that the quality of output it delivers won’t be dissatisfied. To specify, you can capture 64MP High-resolution images and videos up to 4K/60fps with an upgraded 1/1.7 INCH SENSOR.
This is a crazy quality that everyone is satisfied with. Coming to its stabilization and color detailing, DJI Osmo Pocket 2 has 3-axis image stabilization and excellent color detailing. It has a feature of intelligent shooting that will help you to shoot at the speed of life through ActiveTrack 3.0. Overall it has the best basic features compared to other cameras. Apart from this, it has a good battery life of 140 mins (2+ hours). These were the following best parts of the DJI Osmo Pocket 2. The Pocket-Friendly and easy to handle feature makes it the best makeup camera.
What I Like About DJI Osmo Pocket 2
- It is designed in such a way that it can fit in a pocket and can be easily shot anywhere, on the spot. Easy to handle as well
- The output quality is excellent that is equivalent to DSLR
- You get enough battery life to shoot in a day. Also, record videos
- Image stabilization and Hybrid AF will help you to shoot a lot better
- Easy sharing and fast charging won’t take your much time
- The lens fixed with DJI Osmo Pocket 2 is a wide-angle lens, which will enhance your work
What I don’t Like About DJI Osmo Pocket 2
- You may face problems connecting to the android smartphone. This may be an issue for a few because few feel flexible to transfer to their mobile phone.
7. Fujifilm X-T30
Fujifilm is always known for its images and video quality. Fujifilm never compromises with it. So, you can expect good color detailing, excellent output, and quality images, videos. Coming to Fujifilm X-T30, it is a good camera and it is best in all aspects. If you are wanting to boost your profile, portfolio, or showcase your work and skills then Fujifilm X-T30 will help you to do that quickly. You can record videos up to 4K HD and can capture images of 26.1MP and it is equipped with 4th generation of X Trans CMOS 4 sensor. This sensor brings in deep and perfect images.
You get perfect color detailing output by Fujifilm X-T30. The X-Processor 4 will speed up the processing time of images and videos. So, I can say that image will be processed in 2-3 seconds. The different modes of shooting are the best because of the AF and viewfinder of Fujifilm X-T30 that are fast and accurate. You’ll never experience this in other cameras. I can say that Fujifilm X-T30 proudly makes it to the list of best makeup camera.
What I Like About Fujifilm X-T30
- It is equipped with superior color and video reproduction legacy that will help you to create the best tutorials
- You can capture high-quality videos and images
- It has a fast and accurate AF, a viewfinder that will help you to shoot quickly
- Different modes will be helping hand for different makeup styles
What I don’t Like About Fujifilm X-T30
- The price is a little high that may take you away from getting this camera.
8. Canon EOS M50 Mark II
Canon EOS M50 Mark II is a good option to go for. You can use it for different purposes/intentions. If you are a makeup artist then you can show your work and skills through different social media platforms or you can record videos such as makeup tutorials, makeup influencing, or creating a portfolio. I will share a few of its details with you all. Beginning with the quality of its videos and images. You can record videos up to 4K and capture images of 24.1MP resolution.
Along with that, it has an APS-C CMOS sensor that brings in fast processing and depth of the image. The technology equipped with it brings in perfect color detailing which will enhance the makeup’s precise color. Also, an auto lighting optimizer will help in color detailing that will eventually benefit you. 5-axis Image stabilization will indirectly bring the best quality output. Touch AF and Wide AF coverage area make the shoot comfortable. These were the few benefits for you, makeup artist. Further, it’s divided into pros and cons to make you understand better.
What I Like About Canon EOS M50 Mark II
- It has accurate, precise, and fast EVF as well as AF that will indirectly help you to capture the best and quick portraits
- Quality of video recording and capturing image will boost the quality of your profile
- Auto lighting optimizers will help you to get the best makeup portraits.
- Intuitive setting control, tiltable screen, and lightweight will make shooting easy and quick
What I don’t Like About Canon EOS M50 Mark II
- The price is a little high for the features.
- The battery is not so powerful.
9. Panasonic Lumix G7
Panasonic Lumix so far has been a good series. Where many users felt satisfied with the different models. Panasonic Lumix G7 is one of the models of the Lumix series that is doing well. This DSLR has a lot of good things that I want to share with you, makeup artists, Here are the full details of how it will help a makeup artist. Beginning with the quality of output, as a matter of course, you can record videos up to 4K/30fps and capture 16.2MP HD resolution images. Apart from this, it is a next-generation mirrorless camera that enables a compact and lighter body. It is enabled with three 4K modes for the best shots of images and videos. The excellent color detailing, fast AF, good EVF makes it an all-rounder.
Intuitive controls and comfortable grip design delivers maximum satisfaction. These were the best things that you, a makeup artist can take advantage of. Further details are divided into pros and cons for more clarity.
What I Like About Panasonic Lumix G7
- It is easy to control and a tiltable LCD screen helps you to shoot innovatively.
- Best quality output without any degradation in the quality
- Fast AF, good EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) this will be a helping hand for you.
- available at a reasonable price
- The excellent color detailing that will enhance your work more through portraits
- Continuous shooting at high speed will help you to make more tutorials or influencing videos.
What I don’t Like About Panasonic Lumix G7
- Audio recording is not that great. I suggest it’s better to have a mic or microphone plugged into the camera.
10. Sony Alpha A6000
Sony Alpha a6000 is one of the best cameras for professionals. It will help to build the best portfolio for you and it will deliver quality beyond your expectations. If you are a makeup artist and looking for the best camera then Sony Alpha a6000 will be one of the choices for you that I recommend to you. It is equivalent to a mirrorless DSLR. To share the details such as, it is equipped with a BIONZ X Image processor that will boost texture and detail in real-time.
You can record the best quality videos 1080p/60fps (eg: tutorials of makeup, influencing videos about makeup) and can capture images of 24.3MP (You can capture 11 photos in a blink). So, you can imagine how great this camera quality and speed is. It has the fastest AF in the world (with 179 AF points and 11Fps). Also, a tiltable screen will shoot easily from different angles.
What I Like About Sony Alpha A6000
- It is equipped with the world’s fastest AF that will make your shoot easy
- Excellent quality of videos and images such as 1080p/60fps and images of 24.3MP HD
- The best color detailing will enhance your work and skills
- A tiltable screen is beneficial for shooting from different angles
- BIONZ X Image processor that will boost the quality of images and videos
- Viewfinder, intuitive control is like the cherry on the cake that will be an indirect benefit for you
What I don’t Like About Sony Alpha A6000
- The battery life is not good.
11. Canon 70D
Canon 70D is the camera with perfection. If you are a makeup artist and looking to showcase your skills to the audience through videos and images then Canon 70D will make an easy way for you. To explain in detail about this camera then it has 3-10x digital zooming with full HD resolution. This will show up more details about your makeup on the model. It has ISO 100–12800 and expandable to 25600 in H mode with installed noise reduction technology. This will make you think more creatively about your videos. You can shoot videos continuously for long hours at high speed.
This feature will help you to make tutorials more and more. It has a DIGIC 5+ Processor that will help you deliver the best skill filled with content to your social media audience or best for your portfolio. With the video snapshot feature, you can capture 2,4,8 seconds of video for the cinematic aspect in your tutorial videos. These are the few insane advantages you can take up of this Canon 70D and make the best projection of your makeup artistic skill. Pros and Cons will help you to understand better.
What I Like About Canon 70D
- Electronic Viewfinder will help you to capture the shots more easily keeping the model in focus
- Good coloring details will make your skills more attractive
- Dynamic ranges and filters will help to shoot you in a more artistic way
- HD video recording at 4K and 20.2MP images showcase the quality of your skill
- Noise reduction and easy control will improve the shooting mode
- Instant sharing will help you to deliver more of your work to the audience
What I don’t Like About Canon 70D
- Over-Priced for the features it has
Quick Comparison Table- Best Makeup Camera in 2021
|1. Canon 5D Mark IV
4K Ultra HD
|Sony Alpha 7 II
4K Ultra HD
(Best Budget Makeup Camera)
Level: Experts & Intermediate
|Canon G7X Mark II
(Best Video Camera Under Budget)
Level: Experts & Intermediate
1080p Full HD
|Canon Rebel T7i||Sensor: 24.2MP
|DJI Osmo Pocket 2
(Pocket Friendly & Easy to Handle)
Level: Intermediate & Beginners
Pocket Size & Flexible
|Fujifilm X-T30||Sensor: 26.1MP
|Canon EOS M50 Mark II||Sensor: 24.1MP
Level: Intermediate & Beginners
|Panasonic Lumix G7||Sensor: 16.2MP
Level: Intermediate & Beginners
|Sony Alpha A6000||Sensor: 24.3MP
|Canon 70D||Sensor: 20.2MP
Quick Photography Tips For Makeup Artists and Influencers
In this section, you will get to know about some quick Photography Tips for Makeup Artists and Influencers.
1. Use a Good DSLR Camera
The number one factor that influences the photo quality is a Good Camera. And this post is all about the best makeup camera. I am sure that till now, you must have made the decision of using a the best camera. If you are still confused then. I would recommend you to go for Canon 80 D, it’s the best camera that comes under budget and performs great in every aspect.
2. Focus on Lighting Setup
Lighting is the most important factor that influences the quality of photo. If you are not spending on your lighting setup then you are making a really big mistake. As a beginner, you can start with a Ring Light but make sure that you take the next step, i.e, A complete Softbox Lighting set that will help you adjust in every way possible.
3. Use Dark Color Backdrop
Dark Backdrop makes the model look bright and helps the camera to focus better. You can play with backdrop colors based on the skin tone of the model. But I personally prefer Dark Backdrops.
4. Always Use a Tripod
Tripod is the most essential thing after a camera and lighting. It helps in making the camera stable and ultimately gets you the best focus. You can surely check out the review of the best tripod for photography here.
5. Focus on the Eyes
While shooting a model or taking a close-up shot, you should always focus on the eyes. It’s the first thing that people notice in a photograph. For close-up shots, I would recommend you to use manual focus because it will help the camera understand your requirement.
6. Always Use an Editing Software for Retouch
Clicking a good photograph is cool, but one thing that makes it look great is “Retouching“. It can actually bring a lot of difference to your photos. You can use a different photo editing software for editing. I will personally recommend you to use Adobe Photoshop since it has all the features you want.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Kylie Jenner is one of the biggest Social Media Influencer with millions of followers. She uses Canon Powershot G7X Mark II for her regular video shoots. It’s a wonderful camera for makeup artists, vloggers, and social media influencers.
Yes, definitely. You must use a really good lighting setup for your Makeup Photoshoots. It actually makes your photo look great and more detailed. If you are short on space, then You can go with the basic Ring Light and it will solve your problem.
Here are some quick tips to shoot next-level makeup tutorials for your YouTube Channels.
1. Get a Really Good Camera.
2. Start by using Basic Lighting setup like ring light and then upgrade to complete 4 Way Lighting set.
3. Use a Dark Color backdrop to improve focus while shooting.
4. Learn about Manual Focus and shoot sample videos before to improve your setup.